Manufacturing Technician I
Posted on: March 8, 2023
Manufacturing Technician I
As a manufacturing technician in the Imaging Systems Business Unit,
you will work among a team of individuals developing,
manufacturing, and troubleshooting complex opto-mechanical and
electrical assemblies for our customers. Day-to-day activities will
require working in a fast-paced environment within the
manufacturing department, as well as assisting with various R&D
and testing activities. The location of this position will be in
Sterling, VA. From time-to-time, travel may be required both
domestic and internationally to customer sites or other Thorlabs
locations for installations and training activities.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited
- Must be able to develop written work instructions, mechanical
drawings, and schematics for a wide range of products to properly
assemble and test the final product to the highest of quality
standards and with zero scrap or rework.
- Assemble life science and microscopy products of varying sizes
and complexity. Includes cleaning, inspecting, and testing of
complex sub-assemblies and final assemblies.
- Notify engineering of conditions requiring more complex
resolution, recurring failures, potential service issues, or
identified new product limitations. Make recommendations for
potential design or procedural changes.
- Proper handling of critical and fragile optical
- Perform system diagnostics and review of pilot runs to
determine operating performance and potential causes or areas of
quality control failures.
- Diagnose hardware and software problems, run appropriate
computer programs, analyze data, isolate areas of potential or
actual problems and determine any required modifications to suit
current requirements and resolve problems.
- Complete projects according to engineering instructions and
technical manuals using knowledge of electronic, mechanical, and
optical systems or components.
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment through
compliance with procedures, policies and regulations.
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all
positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of
work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work-related
tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives
regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties
- The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties
to this position.
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs for brief periods. Must grasp,
manipulate, or assemble parts and components that are often very
small or sensitive. Work may be sedentary, could require standing
or sitting for long durations and/or perform repetitious work at
times. Technicians may come in contact with but not limited to
acetone and epoxy, work areas may be noisy at times.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a manufacturing, engineering,
or field service environment.
- High School diploma or equivalent, preferably some further
education in a related field.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Self-starting individual with a strong attention to
- Strong ability to work well in a fast-paced group atmosphere,
as well as individually, and comply with high quality
- Ability to multi-task, and to shift from one task to another
when required addressing changing production or field service
- Must be proficient in reading engineering drawings and
processes, familiarity with standard parts and hand tools.
- Basic soldering skills
- Must have some proficiency working with computers and Microsoft
- Other: Ability to travel both domestically and internationally
to customer sites.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal
Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified
individuals will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or
expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics,
disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not
intended as and do not create employment contracts. The
organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees
can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
Keywords: Thorlabs, Sterling , Manufacturing Technician I, Professions , Sterling, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...