Company: Mid-Atlantic Pathology Services Inc
Posted on: August 4, 2022
Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position
Qualifications: Job Summary: Prepares histologic slides from human
tissue sections for microscopic examination and diagnosis by
Pathologist. Essential Key Responsibilities:
- Prepares sections of human tissue for microscopic examination
and patient diagnosis, using techniques to gross (dissect tissue),
embed (orient specimen in paraffin block), section (cut thin
sections of tissue), stain (enhance contrast of tissue and
highlight specific features of interest with routine hematoxylin
and eosin stains), and mount tissue (adhere tissue onto glass
slides), from surgical procedures.
- Performs recuts and additional stains including special and
immunohistochemistry stains, as requested by a Pathologist.
- Operates computerized laboratory equipment to fix, dehydrate,
and infiltrate with wax, tissue specimens to be preserved for study
- May label requisitions, specimen containers, cassettes and/or
slides and affixes coverslip to slides.
- Maintains laboratory equipment and tracks all routine
maintenance and quality controls performed.
- Files, retrieves, and distributes blocks, slides, and pathology
- Operates, cleans, and sterilizes laboratory equipment,
glassware, instruments and workstation.
- Disposes of hazardous chemical wastes per regulatory
- Maintains strictest confidentiality.
- Complies with all State, Federal, professional regulations as
well as company and departmental rules, polices, and procedural
- Adherence to CAP, CLIA, State Regulations, HIPAA, Safety and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Associate s Degree in the field of Laboratory Science or
Medical Laboratory technology obtained from an accredited
institution or equivalent under the 1988 Clinical Laboratory
Improvement Amendments (CLIA) guidelines of high complexity
- Education/training equivalent to the above that includes at
least 60 semester hours or equivalent from an accredited
institution. This education must include 24 semester hours of
medical laboratory technology courses, or 24 semester hours of
science courses that includes 6 semester hours of chemistry, 6
semester hours of biology, and 12 semester hours of chemistry,
biology or medical laboratory technology in any combination.
- State licensure, if applicable.
- Certified or eligible for Board of Certification (BOC) by the
American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP). Experience:
- C ompletion of a Histology program accredited by the National
Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) or
minimum of one (1) year experience as a full-time Histology
Technician Trainee and competent in the areas of fixation,
processing, embedding, microtomy, special stains,
immunohistochemistry, grossing and lab operations. Requirements:
- Successful completion of a pre-employment visual color
- Successful completion of annual education units per state
licensure and/or ASCP guidelines. Equipment:
- Computers, computer programs, information system(s), scanners,
forceps, rulers, tissue dyes, scalpel or razor blades, microtomes,
cryostats, water baths, slide rack, tissue processors, drying
ovens, automatic stainer, cover slippers, and personal protective
- Knowledge of CLIA regulations regarding proficiency testing,
quality assurance and quality control.
- Knowledge of laboratory policies and procedures, equipment, and
testing to monitor control checks.
- Knowledge of medical terminology to communicate with laboratory
- Knowledge of English grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Skill in using computer programs and applications.
- Skill in performing a full range of laboratory tests and
operating a variety of laboratory instrumentation and
- Ability to listen, read, understand, and follow oral, and
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with
employees, physicians, vendors, clients, and external agencies.
Environmental Working Conditions:
- Laboratory Setting; exposure to communicable diseases, toxic
substances, blood borne pathogens, chemical hazards, and sharp
instruments. Physical Requirements:
- Physical demands are representative of those that must be met
by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of
this job. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk;
sit; use hands to finger; handle, or feel objects, tools or
controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop,
kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee
must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision
abilities required by the job include close vision, distance
vision, and the ability to focus. Requires visual acuity and normal
color perception.Scheduled Weekly Hours:40Work
Shift:Company:Mid-Atlantic Pathology Services Inc Sonic Healthcare
USA is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and
is committed to an inclusive workplace for all employees. We
prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race,
color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, genetics,
veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local
Keywords: Mid-Atlantic Pathology Services Inc, Sterling , Histology Technician, Professions , Sterling, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!