Sr. Principal Systems Engineer - Satellite Space Systems - Top Secret
Company: Northrop Grumman
Posted on: April 8, 2021
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile
products and ideas into orbit and beyond. Northrop Grumman has
opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space
exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting
multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a
culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining
Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and
protect millions of people on Earth every day, now and for the
future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
This Systems Engineer role is located in Dulles, VA, supporting our
National Security Space Systems programs that include technical
roles at the mission, segment, and component levels. They span the
entire program life cycle from early concept studies, design
development, system integration/test, launch and early operations,
mission operations/sustainment, and system disposal. Programs range
from small feasibility studies to medium-sized on-orbit technology
demonstrations and large-scale national systems.
Successful candidates for this position will work in a technical
role for a space program in Dulles, VA, in the National Security
Space business area within the Tactical Space Systems Division.
Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) is gaining more visibility
as the preferred systems engineering approach for space system
architects and engineers within both industry and government. The
selected candidate will be responsible for leading system modeling
efforts performed by multi-disciplinary teams for complex, space-
and ground-system development programs by maturing the descriptive
system model & building a cadre of capable systems & software
engineers that can perform their responsibilities "in the model".
This position utilizes abilities to interact in an organized and
solutions-oriented manner, with external entities who are
contributing elements of the integrated system.
- Maintain and evolve program descriptive-system models,
supporting program profiles/repositories (re-usable model
libraries/patterns, design patterns, product architecture, and
design-artifact templates) to enable efficient implementation of
program model-based systems engineering efforts for a space-system
- Work closely with the program Lead Systems Engineer and
Engineering Team Leads to ensure the system-architecture models are
in sync with the system design & correct.
- Model space-system architectures (functional and physical) at
multiple levels of abstraction using Cameo Systems Modeler or Cameo
Enterprise Architect to:
- Develop the system's Concept of Operations (ConOps), including
mission threads and use cases, mission phases, and mission
- Define the functions at each architectural layer, trace them to
the developing requirements, and trace them to the other
- Define the physical implementation of alternative design
solutions (capturing composition, interfaces, performance) and
mature the selected design throughout development.
- Capture the system verification and validation plan, map
V&V activities to the system elements/requirements and support
system V&V and customer buyoff.
- Facilitate review by the program team, subject-matter experts,
stakeholders, and customers throughout development (and operations,
- Exercise the models to perform impact assessments of proposed
changes and support design decisions, and modify the model to
capture approved changes as the design matures.
- Support the Division MBSE Architect in developing
domain-specific language (DSL) profile extensions to codify
ontologies in various engineering and operations disciplines to
reflect standards/best practices and enable seamless integration
with other model-based applications.
- Bachelor's degree in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering,
Math) or related area) and 9+ years of experience, Master's Degree
and 7+ years, or PhD and 4 years of experience. Preference for
degrees in systems engineering and computer science.
- Must have U.S. Citizenship with active or current Top Secret
level security clearance.
- Extensive experience with Systems Modeling Language (SysML) and
Unified Modeling Language (UML), including experience with
developing SysML profiles to extend the language for
- High proficiency with either Cameo Systems Modeler or Cameo
- Strong systems engineering skills, including ConOps
development, activity/scenario analysis, requirements
definition/allocation, functional decomposition, interface
definition, verification & validation, requirements traceability to
the test plans, & life-cycle management.
- Broad technical and MBSE experience, across multiple platforms,
and encompassing the entire product development lifecycle.
- Experience with Unified Profile for DoDAF and MoDAF (UPDM),
Unified Architecture Framework (UAF), and/or the Department of
Defense Architecture Framework (DoDAF)
- Experience with java, java script, python, OCL and/or groovy
(in an MBSE context).
- Experience with Velocity Template Language (VTL), Cameo
Collaborator, and related methods for extracting information from
the descriptive model by use of other software applications.
- Experience with autocode-generation from Cameo/SysML
- Experience with various technical analysis tools, such as
MATLAB, STK, ModelCenter, etc.
- Experience in all levels of space systems engineering at the
mission-, vehicle-, and lower-levels of the system
- U.S. Citizenship with Top Secret/SCI level clearance
- Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse
workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color,
religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital
status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any
other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency
statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S.
Citizenship is required for most positions. Associated topics:
cloud architect, equipment, http, ip, maintenance, principal
systems engineer, senior engineer, server, system integrator,
systems integration architect
Keywords: Northrop Grumman, Sterling , Sr. Principal Systems Engineer - Satellite Space Systems - Top Secret, Other , Sterling, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!