Mail Center Security Specialist
Company: TC Industries Of Canada Company
Posted on: February 23, 2021
Primary essential functions include, but are not necessarily
- Perform x-ray security screening on all mail and cargo entering
facility (unclassified and classified DPM pouch operations).
Perform x-ray image interpretation to detect potential dangerous
goods, hazardous devices and listed prohibited items.
- Monitor the mail handling areas within the facility for mail
security threats or vulnerabilities - report findings to DOS
- Successfully attend, obtain and maintain the certification for
International Air Transport Association Accredited NON-Radioactive
Dangerous Goods Training certification for IATA Category 3.
- Successfully attend and complete the X-ray Security Screening
Course (Government furnished) when provided.
- Comply with the National Incident Management system basic
training requirements to ensure compliance with Homeland Security
Presidential Directive (HSPD-5) during domestic incidents at the
- Understand the fundamentals and application of the Department
of State 14 FAM Exhibit 723.2 regulations as it pertains to
Diplomatic Pouch and Mail Operations.
- Understand the fundamentals and application of Material Safety
Data Sheets (MSDS)/Safety Data sheets (SDS) and the Global
Harmonization labeling System for OSHA HAZCOM as they pertain to
identifying dangerous goods within the DPM mail stream.
- Under the Oversight of DOS staff to include, where applicable
depending on location, the Branch Chief, the Deputy Branch Chief,
the Facility Industrial Hygienist and Bulk Supervisor / Pouch
Control Officer, conduct duties as an extension of the designated
Pouch Control Officer. The duties will include physical inspection
of flagged parcels / pouches to determine if shipment is rejected
or cleared for pouching. Scan parcel tracking numbers into
Integrated Logistics Management System (ILMS) for comment input,
record keeping and tracking. Perform recovery and mitigation on
damaged or opened parcels.
- Attain and maintain demonstrated understanding and proficiency
in the use of first responder detection equipment (GFE) to include
atmospheric air monitoring systems, radiological detectors, and
chemical and biological detection systems. Technologies may include
FTIR, RAMAN, PCR, Electrochemical cells.
- Conduct field sample analysis of unknown or suspicious
substances found within the confines of the Mail Facility to detect
potential / presumptive Toxic Industrial Materials and Chemicals
(TIM / TIC), Biological and Chemical Agents. Radiological sources
and toxic gases or vapors.
- Safely isolate and secure pouch safety or security violation
items and suspicious letter mail. Conduct physical inspection,
inventory and provide accurate documentation (to include
photographing) of findings on generated incident reports.
- Advise and instruct containment room mail handlers on secondary
sample collection procedures during presumptive positive results
and powder spills during receiving.
- Direct containment room mail handlers to process through
facility decontamination showers when necessary. Instruct
containment room mail handlers to evacuate during emergencies.
(Unclassified facility only).
- Perform weekly bio threat surveillance sample analysis of
parcel sorter machine (Unclassified facility only).
- Utilize building Emergency Public Announcement systems when
directed by DOS Management during emergencies. (Unclassified
- Assist DOS management in initiating the Facility Emergency
Action Plan and establishing incident command during
- Authorized to perform emergency duties during training,
exercises, drills, or actual emergencies. These duties include, but
are not limited to, response to assist employees during
exercises/drills and emergencies, assist person with special needs,
perform duties as a floor Warden or monitor, utilization of
personal protective equipment, assumption of any of the assigned
Incident Command General Staff positions, and other such duties as
required during training, exercise, drills, and actual
- Responsible for lifting 70 lbs. heavy mail pouches and
- Work may be performed in the unclassified and classified pouch
facilities as personnel schedules and operational needs dictate.
- Working knowledge of DoS and Federal Regulations addressing
mail and package handling.
- Two years of relevant work experience (passing score on
proficiency test with detection screening equipment may be used as
substitute for experience).
- Demonstrated working knowledge of key mail and parcel screening
components and experience in troubleshooting and maintaining
- Possess basic aptitudes and physical abilities including color
perception, visual and aural acuity, physical coordination, and
motor skills to perform all required tasks.
- Fluency in standard Microsoft Office suite of software.\
- Knowledge and understanding of response actions to possible
incidents involving explosives, hazardous materials, biological
agents, and chemicals.
- Successfully complete mandatory training and required
certifications to use all detection equipment.
- Must be able to lift up to 80LBS
- Must be able to obtain and maintain an active Secret Security
Keywords: TC Industries Of Canada Company, Sterling , Mail Center Security Specialist, Other , Sterling, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!