Sr. Director, Software Engineering
Posted on: August 7, 2022
ORBCOMM is looking for a Sr. Director, Software Engineering. As
a key member of the Global Software Organization, the Sr. Director,
Software Engineering, will report directly to the SVP of Software
Engineering with responsibility for managing diverse engineering
teams, on a global basis, and engaged in the development of
ORBCOMM's IoT solutions. ORBCOMM is a leading global provider of
industrial internet of Things (IoT) solutions that remotely track,
monitor, and control fixed and mobile asset.
The multi-site, diverse, software engineering teams are located in
the US, Canada, Europe, and India. The candidate must possess the
technical, leadership, and communication skills required to
flexibly manage, develop, and inspire the software team to deliver
innovative IoT software solutions. The candidate must provide
software development leadership based on extensive knowledge of
emerging industry best practices and iterative software development
models. The position requires experience developing smart and
connected enterprise applications, analytics insights, telematics,
world-class User Experience, and mobile applications and will be
accountable for the delivery of cost, schedule, quality, and
technical performance of the software engineering organization.
The candidate will directly manage technical directors, managers,
and engineers to ensure continued technical evolution, conformance
to established practices and leadership to ensure adequate
resources are available among a broad range of software engineering
groups and projects.
Responsibilities:Key Performance Expectations
- Responsible for the execution of software development tasks,
activities, and programs within The Company across broad range of
- Ensure development programs are adhering to agile software
development processes on a global basis.
- Develop and maintain project baselines (program scope, time
phased budget and schedule) and report program metrics versus
- Responsible for ensuring adequate resource allocations for
executing software development programs per baseline on time and
- Lead development team meetings and provide ongoing metrics to
keep management and other functional areas informed of project
status, accomplishments, and related issues.
- Manage engineering priority list and product deliverables, Tier
3 issues, and support business as required.
- Follow company and department guidelines and procedures
- Leading worldwide multi software development team assuring
continued technical growth of engineering team
- Assuring efficient and effective integration of acquired assets
- Providing strong interpersonal, organization and process
- Tracking adherence to agile and QA processes
- Championing resource requirements to ensure successful program
Key Career Experiences:
- Minimum of 10-15 years' experience in management of worldwide
software development teams.
- Prior experience within companies providing IoT solutions in
telematics, analytics, and Software as a Service (SaaS).
- Experience managing a large global development team across
multiple geographies, time zones, and cultures
- Experience in ongoing technical and cultural integration of
software acquisitions is a plus
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:Critical Knowledge/Skills
- Experience to oversee development of software architecture
design required to provide scalability, availability, and high
message transaction volumes.
- Champion for agile/scrum software development methodology
implementation leading to acceleration of software delivery,
improving productivity and innovation (User Stories, User Story
Mapping, Scrum Master, Product Owner, Agile Coach) as well as
implementation of agile best practices (Continuous Integration &
- Experience and skills in;
- Cloud computing model for software delivery; SaaS, DaaS
- Web UI development; Angular, React
- RDBMs (Oracle, postgreSQL, SQL server), NoSQL database
(Cassandra), high performance real-time analytics database
- Fast data stream processing (Kafka)
- Deployments in virtual and cloud environments; VMWare, AWS,
- Mobile Applications Android, iOS
- Collaboration tools; Jira, Confluence, Git/GitHub, AHA
- Ability to communicate effectively and to relate software
development program information in written or oral mediums to
development teams, functional management, customers and Sr.
- Experience in problem solving and decision making with an
ability to form a methodical approach to investigating problems,
identifying causes, proposing alternative solutions, and making
- Experience as development team leader with the ability to
improve the performance of the team by motivating and guiding
individuals to apply relevant skills.
- B.S in technical discipline (Required)
- MS (Desired)
Leadership Qualities:Leadership Quality
- Demonstrated capability functioning in a matrixed,
multi-disciplined worldwide technical environment requiring strong
- Market focused with quick thinking, keen ability to formulate a
solution to program problems and challenges in order to meet
- Proven ability to work with cross-functional teams such as
sales, marketing, product management, and customer support
Span of Control/Matrix Reporting
- Effectively manage matrixed, cross-functional, team.
- Strong inter-personal skills to assure engineering team is
accountable for delivering on development program commitments.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Experiences and Skills Gained from Role:
- Experience from this role will position the selected candidate
as a knowledgeable and experienced resource suitable to fill other
roles within the business.
About ORBCOMM Inc.ORBCOMM is a pioneer in IoT technology,
empowering customers with insight to make data-driven decisions
that help them optimize their operations, maximize profitability
and build a more sustainable future. With 30 years of experience
and the most comprehensive solution portfolio in the industry,
ORBCOMM enables the management of over a million assets worldwide
for a diverse customer base spanning transportation, supply chain,
heavy equipment, maritime, natural resources and government. For
more information about how ORBCOMM is driving the evolution of
industry through the power of data, visit www.orbcomm.com.
Keywords: ORBCOMM, Sterling , Sr. Director, Software Engineering, IT / Software / Systems , Sterling, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!