Deputy Environmental Program Manager
Company: Tetra Tech
Posted on: April 6, 2019
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of consulting, engineering, and
technical services worldwide. Our reputation rests on the technical
expertise and dedication of our employees?16,000 people working
together across disciplines and time zones to provide smart,
sustainable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be
home to leading technical experts in water, environment,
infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international
development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global,
multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in
400 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation
and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our
teams. Tetra Tech, Inc. is seeking a Deputy Environmental Program
Manager for their Sterling, VA office to provide program management
support for environmental projects, related to federal, state,
municipal, and commercial clients. The selected candidate will be
responsible for managing financial, programmatic, and project tasks
including preparation of monthly invoices and reports, preparing
scopes of work, and ensuring projects are performed within contract
budgets and schedules.? The Deputy Program Manager will author
subcontracting scopes of work for field investigations that will
require hiring subcontractors to conduct laboratory analysis of
soil, sediment, water or air samples, surveying, drilling, and/or
geophysical work.? Will provide construction and or remedial action
oversight, health and safety air monitoring, and prepare technical
reports. The candidate will work collaboratively with and under the
supervision of a Program Manager or Vice President, and will be
expected to follow company safety standards, participate in safety
training, and prepare as well as implement site-specific health and
safety plans. Responsible for reviewing, understanding, and
implementing site-specific work plans and scopes of work. Will
review and interpret environmental data to prepare various
technical deliverables including reports, letters, proposals, cost
estimates, tables, and figures.? The Deputy Program Manager will
serve as the primary point of contact with clients and present
technical information related to specific projects to clients,
regulators, and the general public.More than 10 years of experience
as an environmental consultant with at least 7 years of project
management experience with a history of managing project tasks of
increasing value is required. Project experience to include:
management and execution of Phase I ESAs (ASTM-compliant), Phase II
Site Investigations, UST compliance monitoring, UST closures, vapor
intrusion assessments, RCRA and CERCLA RFI/RIs and CMS/FSs.
- Previous field experience required, including supervision of
sampling activities and environmental drilling operations conducted
by junior staff and subcontractors, ability to hire subcontractors
and work independently on field projects.
- Previous experience independently writing proposals and
completing business development activities is required.
- Must be familiar with both state and local environmental
regulations and US EPA guidance. Past experience working on
projects that included human health and ecological risk assessments
is a plus.
- Must have proven experience leading teams to prepare technical
reports, memos, and responses to comments tables. Must be a
competent technical writing reviewer and author.? Must have
experience delivering results under tight client deadlines. Ability
to analyze chemical, statistical, and environmental data is
- Experience serving as a primary client point of contact is
- Candidates with the ability to provide previous client
references are strongly preferred.
- Working knowledge of the conceptual site model process is
preferred. Must possess critical thinking skills in order to
evaluate chemical migration pathways across contaminated
- Formal project management training is preferred.
- Experience leading cost estimating and obtaining bids from
vendors and subcontractors is required.
- Proven track record of business development is regarded as a
strong plus.? Ability to introduce new potential clients
- Knowledge of wetland permitting regulations and
- Knowledge of contaminated sediment and pore water
- Experience with assessment of sediment for beneficial
- Experience mentoring others and as a supervisor of junior
- Experience writing and execution of remedial action work
- Must be able to drive a motor vehicle and pass a motor vehicle
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are
- Must be able to manage time well and work on tasks as part of a
larger project team.
- Must have a strong health and safety ethic.
- In addition to English, fluency in other languages will be
considered a plus.
- Candidate should be self-motivated and able to take directions
and work independently.
- Candidate should have experience in independently completing
project cost estimates for projects valued at greater than
- BS/BA degree in Environmental Sciences/Engineering, Geology,
Chemistry, or a related discipline is required.? Advanced degrees
- Professional certifications such as PE, PG, PMP, and/or CHMM
are strongly preferred.
- OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER Training is required.??OSHA 30-Hour
Construction Safety Training and 8-hour OSHA Supervisors of
Hazardous Waste Operations Training are preferred.?
- Leadership and project management training is preferred.?
- Experience with working with a diversified portfolio of clients
is strongly preferred.
- Candidate must be able to walk around project sites for a full
day if required and must be physically able to carry up to 35
pounds of equipment (such as sampling tools, GPS unit, field
screening equipment and cameras) during field work.?
- Field activities take place in a variety of weather conditions,
and can occur in remote locations and include areas of uneven
terrain or occur during harsh weather.??
- Candidate must be able to sit at a desk /computer in an office
environment for office-based tasks. The work environment will
consist primarily of office work and client management; however,
the candidate must be able to lead large field efforts as requested
by clients.? Field work is anticipated to be less than 20% of the
- Candidate must be available for travel to project and client
locations within the United States.? Travel is estimated to be less
than 20% of time worked.
- Candidate must be willing to work beyond traditional hours in
order to meet client deadlines.For more information on our company,
please visit our website at www.tetratech.com. To apply, please
submit your resume and cover letter on the Careers portion of our
website at www.tetratech.com/careers. We thank all applicants for
their interest; however only those selected for an interview will
be contacted. Tetra Tech is committed to creating a diverse
environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We
invite resumes from all interested parties including women,
minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities. Tetra Tech is a
VEVRAA federal contractor and we request priority referral of
veterans for available positions.?EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability - No
calls or agencies?
Keywords: Tetra Tech, Sterling , Deputy Environmental Program Manager, Executive , Sterling, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!