Posted on: July 3, 2019
The position is responsible to help oversee and improve the
production process for the division, teaching assembly techniques,
improving manufacturing process issues, solving production related
problems, and promoting quality throughout production and other
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited
- Responsible for identifying problems, and providing solutions
for manufacturing issues relating to newly released products, and
current production work-flow.
- Plan production layouts helping to facilitate lean
manufacturing and six sigma (or equivalent) standards and
- Participate in design reviews with engineering department to
help identify and discuss proper procedures and potential issues
with newly developed products prior to releasing for
- Training and collaboration with production personnel to
continue improving on existing manufacturing and testing processes
throughout the division.
- Interface with engineering and operations to ensure transfer to
production of new product releases are in accordance with the
approved release processes, requirements, and
- Collaborate with engineers to improve design quality,
manufacturability, and cost efficiency by contributing to and
updating design standards.
- Work with engineering to help verify test specifications and
acceptance criteria for released products, and identify critical
dimensions or tolerances for newly released machine parts.
- Collaborate with the RMA and service departments to help
inspect and disposition customer returns from the field. Identify,
and assist in implementing root cause analysis and corrective
actions to prevent future failures.
- Create and maintain manufacturing process documents to reflect
current and future conditions.
- Collaborate with technicians and assembly personnel to make
necessary changes or revisions to assembly, test, and alignment
procedures for division products.
- Create necessary jigs and fixtures to improve production
efficiency or reduce component damage and waste.
- Assist in completing engineering changes identified through
prototype and pilot runs to increase product
- Help create and maintain production routing steps and timing
for newly released, and existing Imaging Systems products
- Assist in Rev Control and documentation verification using
Axapta and the Thorlabs TECM module.
Qualifications - Experience:
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a relevant engineering
position, or related position in a manufacturing environment.
Design for Six Sigma and Lean manufacturing experience a plus.
- Bachelor s Degree in Manufacturing Engineering, Industrial
Engineering, or Related Technical Areas
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Basic computer knowledge such as, but not limited to,
Solidworks, Microsoft products, and Axapta.
- Experience with manufacturing, configuration management, and
product development in an R&D / New Product Development
- Experience with quality improvement tools and techniques (i.e.,
Lean, Six Sigma, Process Control, and Failure Mode & Effects
- Strong ability to work well in a group atmosphere, and comply
with high quality standards.
- Experience using standard measurement equipment (calipers,
micrometers, pin and thread gauges .etc.)
- Strong attention to detail.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal
Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified
individuals will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or
expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics,
disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not
intended as and do not create employment contracts. The
organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees
can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
Keywords: Thorlabs, Sterling , Manufacturing Engineer, Engineering , Sterling, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!