Network Incident Response Engineer - Ashburn VA
Posted on: May 9, 2022
When you join VerizonVerizon is one of the world's leading
providers of technology and communications services, transforming
the way we connect across the globe. We're a diverse network of
people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future.
Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of
technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we
are moving the world forward - and you can too. Dream it. Build it.
Do it here.What you'll be doing...The Network Incident Response
Engineer requires skills appropriate to Tier II-level incident
response and change management activity. Assists senior engineers
with the implementation of efficiency and automation projects.
Responsible for all aspects of incident response and resolution,
including documentation and customer interface. Responsible for
both authorship and analysis activities in regard to network
security operations. Maintains system of 24x7 network operations,
with daily activity including: promoting situational awareness
(e.g., station logging, ticket audits, NMS audits, network
monitoring, communication channel monitoring); maintaining
proactive network support (e.g., trouble ticket administration,
incident escalation, and change management); and supporting the
broader aspects of a combined Tier I/Tier II NOC (e.g., assuming
help desk responsibilities, circuit research, assistance with ad
hoc tasking). Maintains training compliance and network/systems
mastery. Makes decisions independently during incident response and
change management activity. Regularly attends and, at times, leads
in-house training efforts used to provide both formal and informal
instruction in regard to operations, engineering technology, and
- Administers trouble tickets according to established
guidelines, standards, and procedures.
- Ensures all content accurately reflects all incident response
- Independently makes decisions regarding the next-steps involved
in incident response.
- Responsible for maintaining situational awareness of the
network operations environment.
- Independently administers communications systems, ticketing
database content, network management platforms, and shared logging
- Supports project efforts regarding these systems and, at times,
independently leads individual project tasking.
- Independently conducts change management (CM) activity
pertaining to operational networks, systems, and equipment using
established tools and processes.
- Completes assigned CM tasking and documents all efforts within
- Independently administers and monitors all network management
system (NMS) platforms to ensure the health of operational
services, networks, devices, and components.
- Independently maintains (i.e., creates, updates) active and
passive monitors and ensures all actively monitored services,
devices, and verifies system operation.
- Maintains mastery of established standard operating procedures
- Administers and maintains network management systems (NMS) and
security and information and event management (SIEM) systems
according to established policies and procedures.
- Supports development projects related to in-house tools used
for network automation and business-process efficiency by applying
basic knowledge of programming/scripting (e.g., HTML/CSS,
- Independently configures advanced system views within the SIEM
in order to prioritize and monitor security events with the
intention of mitigating incidents before they evolve.
- Performs analyst functions in response to security incidents in
order to determine incident taxonomy and outcome.
- Engages in incident response in order to mitigate, circumvent,
and prevent attacker objectives.
- Assists with the authorship of use case functions and
- Maintains subject matter mastery in regard to SIEM system and
security operations topics.
- Responsible for proactive and reactive incident response as a
result of network, system, or service anomalies.
- Independently employs working knowledge of networks and systems
during the fault isolation and resolution process.Where you'll be
working:In this worksite-based role, you'll work onsite at a
defined location, Ashburn, VA.What we're looking for...You'll need
- Associate's degree or two or more years of relevant work
- Three or more years of relevant work experience.
- Ability to pass an extensive background investigation as a
condition of employment.
- Willingness to travel up to 25%.Even better if you have one or
more of the following:
- Bachelor's degree with a major in engineering or technology,
and three or more years of experience working with network
- Experience monitoring web server and database system (e.g.,
MSSQL MySQL) health, and ensures the systems run smoothly.
- Experience with SQL server and web tool projects related to the
storage, organization, and presentation of data.
- Experience maintaining real-world, working knowledge of
network-related technologies (e.g., TCP/IP, HSRP/VRRP, dynamic
routing protocols, static routing best-practices and methodologies,
BFD, IPSec, access control, VoIP, switching, VLANs, VTP, STP).
- Experience with network hardware (e.g., SOHO & enterprise
routers, such as Cisco 2800 series, Cisco 7200 series, Juniper
M-series, and Juniper T-series routers; layer 2 & layer 3 switches,
such as Cisco 2960, Cisco 3550, and Cisco 6500 series switches;
network security platforms, such as IDS/IPS, Cisco ACS, and Juniper
- Experience with TDM/OTDM multiplexers, such as Fujitsu optical
platforms; telephony systems, such as Avaya VoIP platforms; and
digital cross-connect platforms.Equal Employment OpportunityWe're
proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our
employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age,
disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity
makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive
environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of
belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and
empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check
out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.COVID-19
Vaccination RequirementVerizon requires new hires to be fully
vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable
accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for
medical, religious, or state law recognized reasons).
Internal ID: 592844
Keywords: Verizon, Sterling , Network Incident Response Engineer - Ashburn VA, Engineering , Sterling, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!